If you’re cooking a meat-based dish for dinner, chicken is usually one of the most versatile options. Because of it’s mild taste, it goes well with a wide variety of ingredients. It’s also relatively low in fat compared to other meats and packs in plenty of protein. Finally, it can also be had for considerably cheaper than a huge slab of steak, for example. Of the many iconic chicken dishes there are out there, chicken parmesan is one of the most widely known. Although it’s delicious as it’s normally prepared, today we’re going to try a twist on it.
That’s right, today we’re going to make a stuffed chicken parmesan with everything you love about the classic recipe taken up a notch. As always, this recipe uses only a handful of simple ingredients and only takes a little bit of time to assemble. Once it’s all done, you’ll be left with a deliciously cheesy dish that you and the family are sure to love. So let’s get started.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 1/1 pounds of chicken breast
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup of plain breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup of grated parmesan
- 3 tablespoons of extra light olive oil
- 2 cups of marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Here’s what you do:
1. To begin, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper all around. When you’re satisfied, get a sharp knife and carefully cut a deep slit into the side of each breast, without cutting all the way through. When that’s done, stuff each one with two to three tablespoons of mozzarella and seal the edges up.
2. Next, get out three mixing bowls. Fill one with a half cup of flour, fill the second with your eggs which you’ll beat with a fork and fill the third with half a cup of breadcrumbs and a third cup of parmesan cheese. Be sure to stir the last one up so that it’s well-combined.
3. With everything set, carefully take one chicken breast at a time and dip it in the flour followed by the eggs and finally into the breadcrumbs, making sure it’s coated all over. Between each stage, be sure to tap the chicken to make sure any excess falls off before proceeding. Do this for all your chicken breasts.
4. Now that they’re ready, get out a deep pan or a dutch oven and set it over medium heat. Add three tablespoons of oil and wait for it to get hot before adding your chicken in as well. Cook the chicken for about four minutes per side, letting the crust turn a nice golden brown all over.
5. Pour two cups of marinara sauce in and spoon the marinara on top of the chicken as well. Next, sprinkle the rest of your shredded mozzarella on top of the chicken breasts and pop the whole dish in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Check that the chicken is cooked all the way through, garnish with basil and you’re ready to eat!
As you can see, the core of the chicken parmesan recipe is still intact here—but the added cheese on the inside takes everything up a level. When cooked correctly, the chicken will be juicy and tender while the outside adds some nice crunch, all smothered in sauce and cheese. Once you try this recipe this way, you’ll want it again and again. Have fun!
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.
Follow your friends or be the first to join our group
Source: Natasha’s Kitchen