When you were a kid, what was your favorite snack or pre-packaged food? Many of the most popular snack food companies have been around a long time. For example, Hostess snacks date all the way back to 1919—and we probably all still enjoy a good Twinkie or Ho-Ho from time to time. Still, one savory snack that has only risen in popularity recently are Totino’s Pizza Rolls. Kids love pizza rolls and if you try one, it’s easy to see why—who doesn’t want a bunch of bite-sized pizza snacks?
Still, foods like these often come packed with plenty of hidden fillers and ingredients we don’t want, even if our family loves them. But what if there was a way to save some money and make these delicious snacks on your own, right at home? And without all the hidden ingredients in them as well? As it turns out, we have an amazing food hack for you today that allows you to do just that—and when you see how easy it is, you’ll wonder how you never tried it sooner. That’s right, today we’re making home made pizza rolls.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 package of pizza dough
- 1 large silicone ice cube tray
- 1 bag of shredded mozzarella (or pizza cheese mix)
- 1 package of pepperoni
- 1 large can of tomato sauce
- Italian seasoning
- other pizza toppings
- cutting board
Here’s what you do:
1. First, get your pizza dough and roll it out—use flour and a cutting board if necessary. Cut your dough in half and roll it out so that it’s about 1/4 inch thick and thinner than usual pizza crust would be. Do this to both halves of the dough and set one of them aside in the fridge.
2. Once your dough is ready, get out your silicone ice cube tray. Although this recipe can work with other kinds of smaller, harder-plastic trays as well, a massive tray with something like 30 or 40 holes works best. Look online for a cheap one if you don’t have one! When you’re ready, carefully lay your dough over the tray and press it into each of the ice cube holes without piercing a hole in it.
3. After that’s set, you’re ready to fill your pizza rolls! Though this part is largely up to you, the recipe we’ve included is for a standard pepperoni flavored roll. Get your package of pepperoni and chop it up into little pieces to your desired texture and size. In each hole, drop it in a pinch of cheese, a pinch of pepperoni and a little bit of tomato sauce. Put a little more cheese on top and sprinkle in just a little Italian seasoning as well if you’d like!
4. When you’ve filled all of the holes, get out the other half of your dough and lay it carefully on top of the ice cube tray to cover it all up. Use a rolling pin or your hands to press everything together so that it seals and peel off the excess dough. When you’re done, throw it in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Around this time, you should also start preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
5. After enough time has passed, take your tray out and turn it upside down on a clean counter or a cutting board. Carefully work the tray off of your pizza rolls and set it aside. Finally, use a knife to cut up and down the rows and columns to turn it into a bunch of separate rolls.
6. Finally, put your pizza rolls on a greased or foil-lined baking sheet and throw it in the oven when you’re ready. Bake the entire thing for 30 minutes and check that they’re cooked through when you’re done. Serve with marinara or ranch and enjoy.
As you can see, making your own pizza rolls at home is incredibly easy and results in a delicious and fresh snack! Though there are a few shortcuts used throughout here, you can make things even fresher by making your own dough if you so choose. The exact proportions of the recipe may vary depending on the size of your ice cube tray and the type of dough you have as well.
Finally, keep in mind that pepperoni pizza rolls are just the beginning. This clever food hack can be used to make all kinds of delicious, bite-sized pastries. You could do a baked caprese version by slicing up cherry tomatoes, basil and fresh mozzarella with a drop of olive oil. Or you could do a salmon roll version with chunks of salmon, cream cheese and dill! Where you take the recipe is up to you. Happy snacking!
Have you given this awesome food hack a try? Let us know how it went in the comments.
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.
Follow your friends or be the first to join our group
L’apéro-cube de Chefclub ! un méli-mélo de saveurs à partager :)
Posted by ChefClub on Tuesday, April 11, 2017