What is it about melty, gooey cheese on top of bread that makes our mouths water? There’s something about this combo that triggers the ‘happiness center’ of our brains and it’s truly magical.
If there was ever an ingredient that could make cheesy bread even more amazing than it already is – it’s garlic or better yet, scallions. Oh, and butter.
Buttery, garlic mozzarella bread? Yes, please! Where can we sign up? Luckily for you, we’ve found the yummiest, cheesiest recipe out there and, we promise – it’s a game-changer.
This isn’t your ordinary garlic cheese bread. This is next-level cheese bread. And it’s all in how you score it, the scallions, and how you add the cheese. Are you drooling yet? Keep reading!
Make this scallion mozzarella cheese bread for your next meal – you can thank us later.
First, you’ll need your supplies.
For the dough…
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of dry instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of melted, unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1 whisked egg
- 1 cup of mozzarella
- a little extra flour to help you knead the dough
For the scallion butter…
- 2 tablespoons of room temperature, softened butter
- 2 tablespoons of chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic (for good measure!)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- egg wash for the edges of the bread (optional)
- freshly cracked black pepper
You’ll also need a sharp knife or bread lame for scoring the bread dough.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl, add your flour. Mix in the rest of your dry ingredients (yeast, salt, and sugar)
- Next, slowly add and stir in your whisked egg until combined. Followed by your melted butter and milk
- Combine and stir your mixture until it thickens and has a dough consistency
- Sprinkle flour over a flat surface where you can knead your bread (counter, cutting board, etc.)
- Place dough onto the flat surface and sprinkle with a bit more flour to help keep the dough from sticking to your hands while kneading
- Knead the dough using your palms and fingers, making sure to fold the dough as well (this activates the gluten!) Continue to knead and fold the dough until it no longer sticks to your hands
- Form the dough into a round loaf and place on a baking tray. Cover with a cloth and set aside until it has doubled in size
- Meanwhile, cut the mozzarella into long, thick slices and set aside
- Mix all of your scallion butter ingredients together and melt in a saucepan
- Once the dough has expanded, flatten with your hands into a circle
- Using the sharp knife, score the dough using a criss-cross pattern – you can brush the edges of the dough with your egg wash if you’d like
- Next, generously brush the entire surface of the dough with your garlic scallion butter
- Using a spoon, go over your score marks again (this really gets that butter in there and makes room for the cheese!)
- Insert those pieces of mozzarella cheese into the score marks – then sprinkle with cracked pepper
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown (butter will leak onto your baking tray, but fear not! There’s plenty of buttery goodness baked inside)
- Eat while the cheese is melty and stretchy! Enjoy!
Want to watch this delicious bread being prepared? The full process is in the video below. Happy eating!
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.
Source: YouTube/Ninik Becker