Bread has been a part of homes for centuries. Made of cereal grains such as wheat, rye, and oats, it’s a staple that provides energy and essential nutrients and doesn’t cost much to make.
That’s why families thousands of years ago and until now know that it’s a type of food that will always be present in their homes.
It’s also no surprise that big restaurants, small businesses, chefs, and folks who love staying home and working in the kitchen continue to come up with fun ways to incorporate bread into each meal, whether as an appetizer, part of the main course, dessert, etc.
And because it’s really such a significant and indispensable part of our lives, the kitchen geniuses from Scrumdiddlyumptious decided to share some bread dough hacks that you can easily do yourself.
First, you’ll need the recipe for bread dough.
- 16 oz. all-purpose flour
- 10 fl oz water
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ oz packet of active dry yeast (or 1½ tsp)
- 2-3 tbsp of warm water to mix with the yeast
- Stir the warm water and yeast and let it sit for approximately 15 minutes.
- Mix the flour and salt, and make a well in the middle.
- Pour the water and yeast mixture into the well and knead it into a smooth dough.
- Let the dough sit for 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Roll it out, fold it, and let it sit for an additional 30 minutes.
Now you’re ready to get started on those tricks!
Here are a couple you’ll definitely want to try. It’s so easy and won’t even take you an hour. The best part is, it will make the kitchen (or the entire house!) smell heavenly.
The first is called a bread wreath. Sounds pretty, right?
You’ll need a portion of the bread dough and a small, oven-proof bowl. It’s important to remember that your oven should be preheated to 425°F.
- Form your dough into a ball, cover it, and let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Tear a hole in the center and put a bowl in the spot.
- Using scissors, cut the dough around the edges so you can fan the ends out. Let sit it for an additional 10 minutes.
- Bake the dough for 20 minutes.
When that’s done, you can spread jam or Nutella on it to enjoy it more. Whatever floats your boat!
Another clever trick with bread dough is called the woven basket loaf. This involves using a clean oven grate!
For this, you’ll need a portion of bread dough. Once again, remember to preheat your oven to 450°F.
- First, take 2/3 of the dough and roll it into a ball. Cover it and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the remaining dough on a clean surface dusted with flour.
- Press a clean oven grate onto the dough to create perfectly straight lines.
- Cut the dough along the indented lines to make strips.
- Then, place the dough ball in the center of a pan lined with parchment paper.
- Place the dough strips over the dough ball.
- Get creative and weave the strands like a basket, tucking the ends under the circle when done.
- Let this sit for 20 minutes, then bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 400°F, and bake for another 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Pretty impressive, huh?
There are more easy-to-follow bread dough tricks you’ll want to impress family and friends with.
Learn how by watching the video below!
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.