Kent Rollins is a famous YouTube content creator best known for making hearty dishes worthy of the cowboy frontier. His channel has garnered over a million subscribers, following recipes cooked with cast iron pans, grills, and other tools of the era. He has appeared on several TV shows like Chopped Grill Masters and Cutthroat Kitchen and has also released a cookbook featuring the recipes he made through the years. His book “A Taste of Cowboy” was listed in the Top 100 Cookbooks to Own in a Lifetime.
In this episode, Kent takes on one of the most iconic breakfast items in the world – the Egg McMuffin sandwich. It’s a popular breakfast item that any person who grew up with McDonald’s know by heart and by taste.
Cowboy Kent has a lot to say about the dish and McDonald’s ought to listen to what our friendly neighborhood chuckwagoner has to say. The egg is dry and the bacon so thin you don’t even need an X-ray vision to read what’s behind it.
In his Instagram post, Kent says:
“The same ol’ McDonald’s McMuffin just wasn’t cutting it. So I took to the grill and remade the classic cowboy style with a lot more meat, egg and cheese!”
Get cracking a pot of coffee and let’s get chomping!
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 ½ – 3 teaspoons horseradish
- 1 pound ham steak
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 deli slices cheddar cheese
- 2 English muffins
- 4 tablespoons butter
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard and horseradish, then set it aside for later.
2. Using one muffin face as a guide, put it on top of the ham and slice around the muffin. As Kent said, “don’t stay within the line” and cut the ham up bigger than the muffin.
3. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat then place the ham on the grill and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes per side or until lightly charred.
4. Remove the ham from the grill and set on the warm side of the grill to retain the heat.
5. Heat your cast iron skillet over medium-high heat while you prepare the eggs.
6. Grease the inside of your egg ring. You can buy these from your local kitchen shop but if you are up for recycling, you can use tuna fish cans or mason jar lids. Place your ring in the cast iron skillet and crack 2 eggs in the middle. Lightly scramble the eggs while it cooks, then season with salt and pepper.
7. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the eggs form up. You can cook it for less time if you want it runny. Remove the can and flip the eggs over. Continue cooking until the eggs have cooked through.
8. Place the eggs on the warm side of the grill then top both the eggs and the ham slices with 1 slice of cheese each. Leave them to warm further until the cheese melts.
9. Meanwhile, butter the undersides of the English muffins and place on the grill to toast.
10. Spread the mayonnaise mixture on both sides of the muffins. Add the ham, eggs and top slice of the muffin. Serve immediately.
Watch the video below to see how Kent made a cowboy take on a breakfast classic.
SHARE this with your family and friends. You’ll never know when a breakfast cookout might spring up.