It’s hard to deny that the delicious green little balls known as Brussels sprouts are packed with a ton of flavor. Admittedly, not everybody is a fan of Brussels sprouts and their bitter taste, but this simple yet special recipe definitely adds a completely new element to the green goods.
We’re going to use a bit of brown butter and sage. These two ingredients mixed together is something you often see, and it works wonderfully well combined with Brussels sprouts. The heated up butter has perfect chemistry with the strong aroma that the sage provides. However, adding some lemon too makes all the difference. The touch of acidity, strong scent of sage and tasty brown butter mix makes the idea of preparing simple Brussels sprouts a whole lot less boring.
What you’ll need
Assuming you have a regular 6-quart slow cooker, you’ll be able to prepare dishes for six people with the following ingredients.
- 2 pounds of Brussels sprouts [$6.00]
- 8 cloves of garlic [$0.59]
- 3 tablespoons of butter [$0.20]
- 1 tablespoon of fresh sage [$1.00]
- 1 cup of feta cheese [$2.99]
- 2 and ½ lemons [$1.00]
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
The average cost is $1.96 per serving and this recipe isn’t only inexpensive but doesn’t take extremely long to cook as well. You’ll need about 35 minutes of preparation time and 2 hours in the slow cooker.
- Before we get the slow cooker, melt some butter in a pan. You’ll want to stir constantly in order to make sure that the butter doesn’t burn, but browns instead.
- Next, lower the heat a little bit and add the cloves of garlic in thin pieces. As always, keep stirring to make sure it doesn’t burn. Add some fresh sage chopped into thin slices when the garlic starts to get a brownish color. Let everything cook for a minute or two until you can smell the strong aroma of the sage.
- Shut down the heat and add the zest of two lemons. Give everything a good and final stir.
- Trim the bottoms of the Brussels sprouts and cut them into thinner slices. Take a slow cooker and add the butter mixture as well as the Brussels sprouts. Spice things up with salt and pepper before mixing everything thoroughly.
- Set the slow cooker on the high setting for two hours.
- Enjoy the smell and taste of Brussels sprouts! Add some juice from half a lemon and serve with some sprinkled feta cheese.
Follow your friends or be the first to join our group
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.
Source: Cooktop Cove