There’s nothing quite as delicious as homemade mac and cheese done the right way. Whenever it was mac and cheese day in the school cafeteria, everyone I knew lost their minds. Similarly, everyone in my family was beside themselves whenever mom would make a big tray of baked mac and cheese with the crust on top. We all have our own approach to making this dish, one which is perhaps the ultimate comfort food meal. Still, have you ever tried bringing your crock pot into the process?
If you haven’t we have the perfect recipe for you. Today, we’re taking on a triple cheese mac and cheese dish that you can make in a slow cooker. Like most slow cooker recipes, this one is very easy to make and results in a rich and creamy meal the family will love.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 pound of uncooked cavatappi pasta
- 4 tablespoon of unsalted butter, sliced into tablespoon pieces
- 4 ounces of cream cheese cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 3 cups of whole milk
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup of pepper jack cheese, shredded
Here’s what you do:
1. First, throw your uncooked pasta into the bottom of the slow cooker. Throw your butter and cream cheese chunks over the pasta as well and sprinkle the entire thing with salt and cayenne pepper. Finally, pour in your milk and cream and stir everything up so that it’s evenly combined.
2. Once it’s all mixed together, cover it and cook on low for one to two hours (start with an hour before increasing the time). Open the pot about everything up again and make sure to smooth out the top layer when you’re done. When the time is up, check the pasta—you want it to be slightly on the chewy and more on the al dente side than not.
3. Once the pasta is ready, throw your shredded cheese on top of everything and cook it again for another 10 minutes. Once that’s done, everything should be melted together and delicious and you’ll be ready to eat!
Once again, this slow cooker recipe is one of the simplest ones possible with only three steps. There’s no need to cook the pasta beforehand and the end result is cheesy and delicious. Above all, feel free to twist this recipe a little to suit your needs. Throw in some onions if you want or mix up the cheeses you use! No matter what you do, it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Have you tried this recipe out yourself? Tell us what you think in the comments.
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.
Sweet and Savory
Join your friends or be the first to like our page
Source: The Slow Roasted Italian